Homes in the area
Fife Housing Group has around 440 homes in the Levenmouth Area, situated in the communities of:
- Methil – 181 cottages, 51 flats and six bungalows.
- Kennoway – 17 cottages and 61 flats.
- Leven – 41 cottages and 13 flats.
- Buckhaven – 34 cottages and 17 flats.
- East Wemyss – 15 cottages and one bungalow.
- Cellardyke – one semi-detached cottage.
- Ceres – two cottages.
The Levenmouth area has a population of around 37,400 people. It grew up around the industries of mining, fishing and textiles. However, its fortunes started to decline with the closure of its mines and rail links in the late 1960s. Levenmouth was designated a Regeneration Area around 2000 and in the past decade has seen the redevelopment of the Methil Docks areas as a hub for the offshore renewable industry. Leven’s major employers include the Diageo plant and Cameron Bridge Distillery.
The communities with FHG housing are served mainly by the primary schools of:
- Aberhill Primary School – Methil
- Buckhaven Primary School – Buckhaven
- Denbeath Primary School – Buckhaven
- East Wemyss Primary School – East Wemyss
- Kennoway Primary School and Community College – Kennoway
- Levenmouth Enhanced Support Centre – Kennoway
- Methilhill Primary School – Methil
- Mountfleurie Primary School – Leven
- Parkhill Primary School – Leven
- St Agathas RC Primary School – Leven
They are also served by the secondary schools of:
- Buckhaven High School, Buckhaven
- Kirkland High School and Community College – Methil
- St Andrew’s RC High School – Kirkcaldy.
All the communities are served by supermarkets or local shops. There are major supermarkets, shopping centres and retail parks in Kirkcaldy and Glenrothes.
There is no longer a rail link to Levenmouth and the nearest stations are Markinch and Kirkcaldy. There are also good bus links to Kirkcaldy, Dunfermline and Edinburgh. The main road link is the A195 which goes to Kirkcaldy, Glenrothes and St Andrews.
Find out more about facilities in your area on Fife Council Your Town Index