Viewing Options

Home / Tenant & Customer Area / Repairs / Making your home safe

Making your home safe


More accidents happen in the home than anywhere else. Each year there are more than two million incidents requiring hospital treatment and around 4000 deaths.

The good news is that by following a few simple rules, most of these accidents can be prevented.


  • Make sure all plugs are correctly wired by a qualified electrician
  • Switch off appliances when not in use
  • Do not overload power points or use multi-outlet adaptors
  • Always use the correct fuse in your plugs
  • Call us immediately if you have electrical problems
  • Before reporting an electrical fault, check trip switches which may have been triggered by a faulty appliance or light bulb.

Fire prevention

  • Keep matches away from children
  • Never leave a chip pan unattended and make sure the heat is turned off if you leave the kitchen
  • Do not hang clothes over or around fires, heaters or cookers
  • Close all doors in your home at night which could prevent fire spreading
  • Always fit smoke detectors, test them regularly and do not remove batteries. If you do not have a smoke detector contact us and we will fit it for you.

If there is a fire in your home:

  • Get everyone out of your home
  • Call the Fire Service on 999
  • If possible, close all doors and windows
  • If your chip pan goes on fire, switch off the cooker and try to smother the flames with a damp towel or large lid.

Paraffin and LPG heaters

Your tenancy agreement prevents you from using bottled gas or paraffin heaters or storing bottled gas or paraffin within your home.