All colleague and contractors who call at your home will have proper identification. If you have any concerns, please ask to check their identity card and ask for a job reference number. If they cannot provide either, it is important that you do not let them in. Either ring our Customer Services Team on 08000 247 007 or call Police Scotland on 121 or 999.
Tips for avoiding doorstep crime
Here are a few precautions you can take to deter bogus callers:
- Always check their identification and check their number matches the one in your phone directory or yellow pages. Don’t be embarrassed, a genuine employee expect their ID to be checked.
- Sign up to the Priority Services Register with your utility provider. They can supply a unique password so that you know the person at the door is who they say they are
- Use your door chain when answering the door and keep it on until you have seen proper identification.
- Make sure your back door is locked when you answer the door as thieves can work in pairs with one distracting you
- Do not keep large amounts of money in your home
- If you think you have been the target of a doorstep thief, contact a friend, neighbour or the Police.
For more information on avoiding doorstep crime visit the Police Scotland Website