Keeping your gas appliances safe
By law, we are required to service your gas central heating once a year. This means that we must gain access to your property to check your gas system every 12 months.
If this does not take place, you and your family could be at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning which can be fatal. If you do not make arrangements with us or our contractor to allow access for an inspection, we may need to force entry to your home. This could result in you being charged £170.
Gas leaks can be potentially very dangerous. You should never attempt to deal with a gas leak on your own and always take the following action.
- Do not switch on lights or other switches
- Put out any cigarettes
- Do not use a flame or match to find the gas leak
- Check to see if a gas ring has been left on or a pilot light has blown out
- Turn off the gas at the meter and call Scottish Gas Networks immediately on freephone 0800 111 999.
- Open doors and windows to let the gas out.