- Keep matches away from children.
- Never leave a chip pan unattended – should you have to leave the kitchen, make sure the heat has been turned off.
- Do not hang clothes over or around fires, heaters or cookers.
- At night close all the doors in your home – if a fire should start, this simple action can give you additional time to get out of your home.
- Plan your escape and make sure your family understand it.
- Your home is fitted with a smoke detector – you should ensure that it is operational by testing it regularly. If you have a problem with a smoke detector, please contact us and we will make arrangements for it to be checked.
In the event of a fire…
- Get everyone out of your home.
- Call the Fire Brigade on 999.
- Close all doors and windows (if it’s possible to do so safely).
- If your chip pan catches fire, switch off the cooker and try to smother the flames with a damp towel or large lid.