Viewing Options

Home / Tenant & Customer Area / Welfare Advice / How can I get help?

How can I get help?

 Scottish Welfare FundP1000938

Community Care Grant

You can apply for a community care grant to help with the cost of setting up a home or staying in your home.

You could use the grant to pay for:

  • Furniture
  • Bedding
  • Connection charges for utilities such as gas and electricity
  • Removal costs
  • Clothing
  • Household equipment
  • Essential travel expenses such as for attending a funeral or visiting a sick relative

You do not have to pay the Community Care Grant back. However, a Community Care Grant cannot be used to pay your deposit or rent. In such cases, you could consider a Budgeting Loan

Crisis Grants

Crisis Grants are awarded by local councils to meet the costs of emergencies or unexpected events such as flooding or a house fire.

The grant will help you pay for essential items such as:

  • Food or clothing
  • Board and lodging
  • Getting your gas or electricity reconnected
  • Minor repairs and improvements
  • Living expenses
  • Emergency travel expenses.

Who can apply?

You can apply for a crisis loan if you are 16 and over. You’ll also need to show that you are in a crisis situation and have short term needs.

Applying for a Crisis Grant

You can apply for a Crisis Grant by contacting your local council or applying on their website.

Find more information on the Community Care Grants and Crisis Loans visit the Fife Council Website

Budgeting Loan

A budgeting loan is an interest-free loan from the Department of Works and Pensions. It can be used to pay for:

  • Furniture or household equipment
  • Clothing or footwear
  • Rent in advance for a new home
  • Removal expenses
  • Travel expenses
  • Things to help you look for or start work such as an interview suit
  • Essential home maintenance

Who can apply?

You can apply for a budgeting loan if you and your partner have received Jobseekers Allowance or Pension Credit for at least 26 weeks.

Applying for a budgeting loan

You can get a claim form from a Jobcentre Plus office or on the Gov UK Website.

Repaying your budgeting loan

You will have to pay your loan back within 104 weeks. This will be taken out of your Income Support, Jobseekers Allowance, Employment Support Allowance or Pension Credits

More information on budgeting loans can be found at your Local Job Centre Plus.