Viewing Options


Benefit cap

Benefit Cap


In April 2013, the Government introduced a cap on the total amount of benefit you can receive.

The money you receive from a range of different benefits is added up. This includes Housing Benefit, Jobseekers Allowance, Employment Support Allowance, Child Benefit, Child Tax Credit and Carers Allowance.

If the total comes to more than the maximum amount you are allowed to receive, your housing benefit payments will be reduced.

The maximum amount of benefit you are now able to receive is:

  • £500 a week for single parents
  • £500 a week for couples with or without children
  • £350 a week for single people without children

This won’t apply to you if:

  • You get Pension Credit or Working Tax Credit
  • Someone in your household is claiming Disability Living Allowance, Attendance Allowance or the support element of Employment Support Allowance.

What should I do?

If you have concerns about being able to afford to pay your rent, you should ask for advice now.  Getting into rent arrears could put your home at risk. You should also:

  • Make sure you are claiming all the benefits you are entitled to. Get in touch with local advice agencies to check this
  • Try to increase your income through paid work.

For more information call the Government’s information line 0845 605 7064