Viewing Options


Housing Benefit

Housing BenefitP1010696

If you are on a low income, you may be entitled to claim Housing Benefit to cover all or part of your rent. You could qualify for Housing Benefit even if you do not receive other benefits. If you receive Income Support or Job Seekers Allowance, you will be entitled to Housing Benefit. If you are working or receiving any other type of benefit, Housing Benefit may cover only part of your rent charge. This means you will need to pay the remaining part of the rent yourself.

 How do I claim?

Housing Benefit is administered by Fife Council.  Applications can be made on the Fife Council Website. Fife Council Housing Benefit and Council Tax section can be contacted at the following address:

Rothesay House, Glenrothes, KY7 5PQ.

Phone 03451 551155

You should make your claim as soon as possible as your benefit will only be paid from the Monday after the date your claim was made.

What information will the Council require?

The Council needs to make sure they are paying the right benefit to the right person. They will therefore ask for evidence to support your claim including:

  • Proof of identity and your and any partner’s National Insurance number.
  • Your rent
  • Where you live
  • Your and any partner’s incomes
  • Savings and investments
  • Your and any partner’s occupational pensions
  • The circumstances of anyone else living with you

All documents should be original and not copies

How is your Housing Benefit calculated?

The amount you receive depends on:

  • How much rent or council tax you are due to pay
  • You and any partner’s weekly income
  • Any savings or investments you and any partner have
  • Your age and the age of any family member who lives with you

Assessment of your claim

Once your claim has been assessed, the council will write to you and inform you of the amount of Housing Benefit you will receive. It is important that you check all the information on your letter, particularly the income figures provided. If you do not receive a letter from the council, you must contact them to find out why. If any of the information is incorrect or you are unsure of the information on the letter, you should contact the council and ask for assistance.

How is it paid?

Housing Benefit is paid monthly at the end of every month. Usually, the council will pay Housing Benefit directly to your landlord. This includes tenants of Fife Housing Group.

You are responsible for making Fife Council aware immediately of any change in your circumstances which might affect the level of Housing Benefit you receive. A change in your circumstances could include:

  • A change in the level of income or savings
  • Someone moving in or out of your house
  • When Income Support or Income-based Job Seekers Allowance stops
  • Changes in the levels of income of any other non-dependant adults in your household
  • When someone in your household is admitted to hospital.

Fife Council does not tell us about such a change of circumstances directly. This can lead to confusion and us sending you unnecessary letters. To avoid this confusion please contact your Housing Officer immediately, as well as Fife Council if there are any changes to your Housing Benefit which may affect the amount of rent you pay.