Viewing Options

Home / Tenant & Customer Area / Your tenancy / Welfare benefits and advice

Welfare benefits and advice

Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit is a means-tested benefit payable to people who are responsible for paying rent. Housing Benefit is assessed by Fife Council and is calculated by looking at any income you receive, any savings you have and the income and circumstances of people who live with you.

If you would like further information or wish to make an online application please click here.

If you receive Housing Benefit and your entitlement is reduced due to the bedroom tax then you may be eligible for a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) from Fife Council to help with the shortfall.

You can apply online for DHP here.

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a new benefit administered by Department for Work and Pensions and aims to make the welfare system simpler by replacing six benefits and tax credits with a single monthly payment.

You must apply for Universal Credit online – to do this or to get further information click here.

If you receive Universal Credit then your award should include an amount for housing costs to pay towards your rent charge.  If this does not cover the whole of the charge, you may be eligible for a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) from Fife Council to help with the shortfall.

Apply online here.

Money Advice

Making ends meet these days can be difficult and it is all too easy to get into debt, however, help is at hand from a number of services, such as Citizens Advice and Rights Fife or the Money Advice Service who can provide expert advice on budgeting and making sure you are claiming all the benefits you are entitled to.

You can also use the Citizens Advice Scotland Money Map tool to see all of your online options for increasing your income and cutting your bills.


Foodbanks are non-profit organisations which receive publicly donated food which is sorted by volunteers and distributed as food parcels.  There are a number of foodbanks operating in Fife which you can be referred to by your Housing Officer, a social worker, doctor or health worker – further information can be found here.

Scottish Welfare Fund

You can also apply for help with the cost of setting up a home or staying in your home. Community Care Grants and Crisis Grants are available through the Scottish Welfare Fund and can help to pay for furnishings and removal costs.  You can find out more information and make an online application here.